Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Pokemon, Homage, Uri Geller and KISS

I had noticed that a psychic-type Pokemon was holding spoons, which reminded me of Uri Geller, the illusionist who would bend spoons and pretend to be a psychic (and people took him seriously). Long-time Pokemon fans will know that, yes, this was homage, and there's a legal story where Geller had the card blocked for many years so it wasn't printed, and he has recently recanted which is how I learned about it. 


Interestingly, considering homage, the other two forms of this Pokemon (that makes sense for Pokemon, otherwise don't worry about it) also have Japanese names that are homage to Japanese magicians. None of this is apparent in English, though. 

Additionally, and I don't follow Pokemon news so I missed the announcement (but noticed the Pokemon), there is also a Pokemon which is an homage to the band KISS, with its over-the-top style.


What I find interesting, besides more homage, is that to me both of these speak to the culture of the USA in the early 1980s, which is a long time ago, yet here they are in Pokemon.