Recently, I have encountered three examples of how giant data gathering companies have completely failed to use that data in any sensible way. The companies are Facebook, Amazon, and Pandora.
- The people at Facebook do not care about the accuracy of the ads they serve.
- The people at Facebook do not care if the ads they serve are purely for emotional manipulation.
- The people at Facebook are not using the 11 years of data they have on me to realize that I would not like this ad because:
- I do not like advertisements that lie.
- I do not like advertisements that manipulate.
- I am not a fan of Sylvester Stallone.
And yes, I know the image is an ad for Flonase, not for cars, it just happens to have a car--I use it here because it's in Spanish (although I am more complaining about the audio ads, images clearly work better here).