Friday, September 27, 2019

Morrowind's Creation

Great read over at Polygon, "Morrowind: An oral history" by Alex Kane (and some great accompanying artwork by Ben Bauchau).

"I like to tell people that if you ever fell through the world in Morrowind, or got stuck on a piece of geometry, that was my fault." -Erik Parker
YES I HAVE DONE THAT - me. (Falling through the world is kind of cool, but you don't want it to happen too often.)

There are a lot of good quotes in there, a nice long piece that is probably best read over a few sessions.

"I’ve worked on games that I will never see again, and I spent years of my life on them. They will never be seen by another human ever again. And that sucks. They just go away, or you can’t play them because you don’t have the console anymore." -Mark Nelson

I haven't worked on any games, but this resonated with me (not because of academic papers) but because this is somewhat of a problem when it comes to video game canon, which is a longer story.