Tuesday, April 10, 2018

PAX Game Writeup List

PAX East 2018 was great fun! Dice (plastic, stone, wood), wooden gaming tables, indie games, big names, tons of non-digital games, t-shirts, hats, plushies, other collectables, a string quartet, eSports, cosplay, just awesome.

I like the indie games, and snagged a few photos and cards for a few. I thought I'd make a post with them for others to see. Some of these might not be overly indie, depends on how you want to define that, but they looked interesting to me (one is definitely not indie). Many are on Steam, some are still in development. I played one that was still in alpha and couldn't figure out how to feed the goats. Here are the ones I noted, in alphabetical order. Alas, some are Windows-only but not like I code actual apps, so, I don't expect every little dev house to make the same thing across massively different platforms. I don't guarantee I got all the OS/platforms correct.

I'm not sure I'll have the time to add visuals to each of these, but keep in mind it was how the games looked that drew me in each time.

Action Squad (Killhouse Games)
     Ok maybe it's "Doorkickers: Action Squad". Steam: Windows.

Airships: Conquer the Skies (Zarkonnen/David Stark)
     Airships! Steampunk! On Steam: Windows, OSX.

Anamorphine (Artifact5)
     Looks beautiful. Landscape as emotion. Steam: Windows, PS, Oculus...

Ancestors Legacy (Destructive Creations / 1C Company)
     Vikings! Squad based. Steam: Windows, XB1

Below (Capybara Games)
     Well, cutest company logo winner. Game looks cool too. XB1

Deep Sky Derelicts (Snowhound / 1C Company)
     No idea, but I love the art, reminds me of an ancient story from Heavy Metal Magazine. Steam: Windows.

Graveyard Keeper (Lazy Bear / Tiny Build)
     MUST HAVE. Steam: Windows, OSX, SteamOS, XB1.
     (They also make Pathologic2 which looked cool. Steam: Windows.)

Omensight (Spearhead Games)
     Cool graphics! Steam: Windows, PS4

Phantom Doctrine (Good Shepard)
     Reminds me of a Tom Clancy game I liked on the Xbox360. Steam: Windows.

Projection (Blowfish / Shadowplay)
     Looks VERY COOL. "Projection: First Light follows the adventures of Greta, a girl living in a mythological shadow puppet world..." Steam: Windows and consoles.

Qube2 (Toxic Games)
     The graphics look cool. Steam: Windows, XB1, PS4.

Semblance (Good Shepherd / Nyamakop)
     Cool graphics, cool physics. Windows, OSX, Switch. (Not Steam?)

The Shrouded Isle: Sunken Sins (Kitfox Games)
     Ok I guess Sunken Sins is DLC for the game, but it looked cool, Lovecraftian. Steam: Windows, OSX.

The Stillness of the Wind (Surprise Attack)
     Wow, the art! Story-based, I think. I actually played some. Steam: Windows, OSX.

Addendum: People have also mentioned...
Boyfriend Dungeon (Kitfox)
Stay (Appnormals / PQube)