Sunday, September 7, 2008

Peeve: Web Fail

So the Web is supposed to be all about making information available (no, really, I'm not kidding). I was trying to collect some data for a project (journal citations, no not ISI) and, using Safari, got a page that said this:

You have attempted to log on using the Mac Safari browser. Unfortunately, Safari's logon support is limited and does not work with [institution]. Try any other browser (e.g., Netscape, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.) to log on correctly.
Ok. This from an institution that has as its banner "Continuous online service and innovation since 1986". Idiots. Real innovative there. So, yes, I went and got Firefox (I know, you are appalled I was not using it already). By the way Safari's logon support is not limited. I tried again. Here is what I got:
Since you are not a member of [institution] and your institution does not contribute support for [institution] through the institutional affiliates program, you are not authorized to obtain files from this server.
Nice. Thanks. Good thing you didn't tell me that initially, that would have been too innovative to think of. Imbeciles.